Tuesday, January 5, 2010

FROM PARIS WITH LOVE trailer reviews

GOLAN: Just saw the trailer for FROM PARIS WITH LOVE. Actually, saw three of them - the original, the red band and the new.

Let me start by saying that I love THE TRANSPORTER movies, and I was kind of in love with TAKEN. To this day, when I throw a punch in my boxing class, I pretend the heavy bag is an Albanian bad guy. Jack Bauer can learn from Liam Neeson's retired agent.

Anyway, I digress. This looks pretty bad. I sometimes like Travolta, I often like Rhys-Meyers, I pretty much always like Luc Besson, I'm a big fan of Adi Hasak, and so far Pierre Morel hasn't given me any reason to dislike his work. All that being said, I still think this looks pretty bad.

Let's give them props for having the balls to screw with a classic Bond title and to use Sinatra's "This Town" (which did not refer to Paris). Beyond that, what is this mess? A trailer is made up of the best parts of a movie. That means that you, as a trailer creator, have two hours worth of material, and all you have to do is find a minute or two of usable stuff. We've seen some of the worst movies of all time have amazing trailers, and that is precisely because it ain't that hard to find 90 seconds of awesome out of 6,500.

In this trailer, the cuts are so fast, you can't tell what's going on. They have clearly jammed in every explosion in the entire film to make sure that audiences know "This is exciting! Look at all the explosions!" And, most egregious, they pull that old lame trick of hiding the swear word behind cool action, but they do it clumsily. "Wasn't that some impressive..." BOOM! See? Instead of him saying "shit," a car blew up. That just goes to show you that not only are there explosions in this movie, there are funny lines and curses, too! Let's all go opening night!

I, for one, will need to be convinced. All that being said, I am going to try to keep an open mind about the flick, considering all the people involved that usually make good movies. I'm just hoping that this trailer does not reflect the movie. After all, it's a fine line between stupid awesome and just plain stupid.


BRIAN: Is Natalie Portman in it? She was good in THE PROFESSIONAL. Man, she was only 12 in that film and even then I wanted to BOOM!! *car explosion*

No comments:

Post a Comment